HOSPA Education Programme Award Winners 2017 < back
Congratulations to the 2017 HOSPA Award winners for achieving the highest grade in their respective stages of the Revenue and Finance Management programmes. The winners were presented with their prizes at the 2017 Annual Awards Ceremony, held at the Hilton on Park Lane on 25th January 2018. The association also recognised two organisations for their commitment to education in the fields of Revenue Management and Financial Management.
To view all the photos from the event click to -
The 2017 ‘Overall Learners of the Year’ for HOSPA’s hospitality-focused Professional Development Programmes in Financial Management and Revenue Management were also announced. The two outstanding learners were presented with specially engraved glass trophies and complimentary day delegate spaces for HOSPACE2018,
The recipients in question, who gained the highest combined course work and examination results for 2017 in their respective Professional Development Programmes, were:
For Financial Management: Monika Hyde, Management Accounts Assistant, Quay Hotel & Spa, Conwy, Wales
For Revenue Management: David Clancy, General Manager, Leonardo Edinburgh Capital Hotel, Edinburgh
The Association also recognised learner Sam Jennings, Key Market Revenue Manager – South West, Whitbread – Premier, with an “Outstanding Achievement Award” for having achieved the highest grades for Levels 1, 2 & 3 in his Revenue Management studies during 2016-17. Head of HOSPA Professional Development Debra Adams explained: “We wanted to honour Sam for achieving the highest combined course work and examination results over a two-year period in all three Levels of the HOSPA Professional Development Programme in Revenue Management. Sam was the September 2016 highest scorer in Level 1: ‘Introduction to Revenue Management’ and in March 2017 achieved the highest grades in Level 2 ‘Operational Revenue Management’ and completed the programme in September 2017 by gaining the highest grade in Level 3: ‘Strategic Revenue Management’.”
Monica Hyde and David Clancy were both presented with a glass trophy and a complimentary delegate space at HOSPA’s prestigious annual HOSPACE2018 Conference and Exhibition, to be held on 1st November 2018 at the Royal Lancaster London Hotel. The awards were presented by Debra Adams, Head of Professional Development at HOSPA and Harry Murray, newly-elected President of HOSPA and Chairman of Lucknam Park Hotel & Spa.
The twelve 2017 HOSPA Professional Development Learner Award Winners, who each received a certificate and cash prizes, were as follows:
Financial Management Education Programme
Learner of the Year: Monika Hyde, Management Accounts Assistant, Quay Hotel & Spa, Conwy, Wales
Completing in March 2017, the winners are:
- Stage 1: Introductory Financial Accounting: Monika Hyde, Management Accounts Assistant, Quay Hotel & Spa, Deganwy, Wales
- Stage 2: Operational Management Accounting: Natalia Zaremba, Assistant Financial Controller, Renaissance Hotel, Paris
- Stage 3: Strategic Management Accounting: Matthew Bennett, Financial Controller, The Derbyshire Hotel, Alfreton, Derbyshire
Completing in September 2017, the winners are:
- Stage 1: Introductory Financial Accounting: Emalyn Gretton, formerly Accounts Assistant, Jurys Inns; now at DS Smith Packaging Services Ltd., Bristol
- Stage 2: Operational Management Accounting: Monika Hyde, Management Accounts Assistant, Quay Hotel & Spa, Deganwy, Wales
- Stage 3: Strategic Management Accounting: Ketan Bhakta, Cluster Accounts Manager, Jurys Inns, Birmingham
Revenue Management Education Programme
Learner of the Year: David Clancy, General Manager, Leonardo Edinburgh Capital Hotel, Edinburgh
Completing in March 2017, the prize winners are:
- Stage 1: Introduction to Revenue Management: David Clancy, General Manager, Leonardo Edinburgh Capital Hotel, Edinburgh
- Stage 2: Operational Revenue Management: Sam Jennings, Key Market Revenue Manager – South West, Whitbread – Premier Inns, Luton, Bedfordshire
- Stage 3: Strategic Revenue Management: Diane Little, Assistant Cluster Rooms Revenue Manager, Principal Hotels, Edinburgh
Completing in September 2017 the prize winners are:
- Stage 1: Introduction to Revenue Management: Miriam Waldmeyer, Revenue Centre Manager, Royal Lancaster London Hotel, London
- Stage 2: Operational Revenue Management: Henry Rouse, Revenue Manager, Hoseasons, Lowestoft, Suffolk
- Stage 3: Strategic Revenue Management: Sam Jennings, Key Market Revenue Manager – South West, Whitbread – Premier Inn, Luton, Bedfordshire
The association also recognised two organisations for their outstanding commitment to education in the fields of Revenue Management and Financial Management. Glass trophies were each awarded to:
- Commitment to Education in Financial Management: The Carden Park Hotel, collected by Wendy Carman, Director of Finance
- Commitment to Education in Revenue Management: Principal Hotel Company, collected by Alan Corlett, Group Commercial Revenue Director
Wendy Carman, Director of Finance at Carden Park Hotel, said: “When we were looking for a Finance Learning Programme we knew instantly that HOSPA was the right fit for Carden Park Hotel. It is an industry recognised programme that not only ensures our employees are gaining the right qualifications and knowledge but one that #teamcarden are also enthusiastic about completing.
“The nature of hotel accounting is very different to many industries and we wanted an exciting Finance Learning Programme that reflected this. At Carden Park our ethos is to ‘grow our own’, we ensure that our team has the opportunity to develop within their roles and HOSPA has been a big part of this for our finance and food and beverage teams. The team turnover is very low for which we can partially attribute to them feeling valued and being able to progress by completing appropriate training. The support from HOSPA throughout our learning journey has been fantastic and we will certainly be continuing to grow our team with their programme.”
Alan Corlett, Group Commercial Revenue Director for Principal Hotel Company commented “The Principal Hotel Company owns and operates over 30 landmark buildings across the length and breadth of the U.K, comprising of PRINCIPAL in city centres and De Vere, modern country estate hotels with mansion houses at their heart.
A £250 million investment programme is currently underway, which will see many of the group’s properties refurbished and repositioned, including The Principal London, the former Hotel Russell, which will open in Bloomsbury this April following a £75 million restoration.
By enrolling members of our revenue and finance teams on HOSPA’s accredited courses, we’re ensuring that we give our colleagues the opportunities to progress within our business by achieving a credible, industry qualification. Working with HOSPA also ensures that our teams are kept fully up-to-date with industry trends and developments, future proofing our business for years to come.”
Thank you to our sponsors of the Revenue Management "Learner of the Year Award", MRK Associates. MRK Associates is the only recruitment business in the UK with a dedicated Revenue/ Yield Management and Pricing division. Consisting of specialist consultants, this market has seen huge growth recently across numerous industry sectors but none more than in Hotels.
The types of vacancies in which we specialise:
- Revenue Analyst, (Cluster) Revenue Manager, Director/ Head of Revenue
- Pricing Analyst, Manager and Director
- Yield Analyst, Manager and Director
- Data Analyst and BI
In a skill-short marketplace where experienced individuals are at a premium, MRK has proved successful in sourcing the right talent and opening the market up for them. MRK partner with the only sector specific job board in the world: www.revenuemanagementjobs.com
We are grateful to Core Recruitment for the sponsorship of the trophies. COREcruitment is a leading international recruitment consultancy with a friendly team of market specialists covering multiple markets across the service industry. Established in 2005 we have rapidly earned an enviable international reputation for our professionalism and high-quality service delivery founded on our three core principles; integrity, efficiency and transparency.
Our expertise covers a wide spectrum of the service industry and all our consultants have significant international/sector experience in their specialist fields. Specialist areas include:
- Head Office Recruitment
- Marketing, Finance and IT
- Retail Recruitment
- Human Resources
- Facilities Management, Property and Estate Recruitment
- Executive Recruitment
- Sport and Leisure Recruitment
- Events and Hospitality Recruitment
- Bars, Restaurants and Club Recruitment
- Catering and Events Recruitment
- Chef Recruitment